Fake Uber App Malware: Steals Your Password And Then Dissappears

A recent malware has taken a turn for the clever, it appears like the real Uber app, and after it has stolen your details, it opens the real Uber app which confuses the victim into believing that they were not hacked.

Global security giants Symantec discovered the fake Uber app which is a version of the Android.Fakeapp that was used previously to impersonate other fashionable apps. In this version, Symantec states that the malware designers became creative and operated as a pop up until it is operated. In other words, it looks like the real thing, and if you are unaware, you will log onto the fake app, giving the app access to your information. Once it has taken your information, it will close and send you back to the real app, and into the ride request screen. It can do this since it has your login details and basically automates the login after you have been scammed.

Avast, another security firm, reported last month about malware that impersonated common Android apps including Google Play Store and thousands of banking apps that were used to steal personal information.

Symantec constantly advises users to check the source of the installed app as well as a check before logging into mobile apps, make sure that the app you are logging into is the correct one and make sure you have a properly installed anti-virus system updated with the latest library. Do not download and install apps outside of the Google’s Play Store or Apple’s App Store.

You have no idea how many times I received scam and malware attacks. It’s like there’s a set of Nigerian dwarves sitting in a log cabin somewhere near Uppsala trying to come up with crazy new ideas to steal your money. The latest one I got was from a logistics company claiming I have a parcel with wrong delivery address…duh, as if. The one that gets my biggest smile is that poor old politician that was ousted from somewhere in Nigeria and needs my bank information so he transfer me a billion bucks! Yoohoo, heard of money laundering? Even if it were true which it aint’ you still can move so much money without reason. When dealing with website fakers I always check the senders email address and look it up on the website they are trying to fake.