Woman Missed Her Flight Due to the Driver. Now, She's Suing Uber

Uber passenger Carla Guzman requested a ride at 4:30 a.m. on June 21 from Uber, and she was picked up by "Rachel." Rachel was supposed to drive Guzman to Philadelphia airport, a simple trip, and even a good one for Rachel, however, the trip turned out to be a ride from hell.

Screenshot-2018-2-5 'Impaired' Uber Driver Strands Woman on Side of Pa Turnpike

Guzman has sued Uber for what she claims to be a total disregard for her claim. The story goes like this:

Guzman noticed that the driver's speech was slurred and her driving as erratic. On top of this, Guzman asked her driver to take the Pennsylvania Turnpike which would make the route substantially quicker than the one Rachel was taking. Rachels reaction was aggressive as well as stating that she would be fined if she too the turnpike since she did not have an E-ZPass.

Guzman told Rachel that she would pay for the toll and fines at the Fort Washington exit, a total of $41.05. After which Rachel pulled in suddenly just passed the exit and ordered Guzman out of the car, or she would force her out. Guzman was left stranded at 4:47am in the middle of a street. Guzman then proceeded with her luggage, on foot, for over a quarter of a mile, climbing over a fence to get to a Best Western hotel where she ordered a taxi and eventually missed her flight.

Video: https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Montgomery-County-Woman-Says-Uber-Driver-Abandoned-Her_Philadelphia-469423903.html

Guzman contacted Uber, and they refunded her $41, but nothing to cover her missed flight.

Uber told the press that they banned Rachel's access to the app but have not commented on the lawsuit where Guzman makes her claims against Uber.

Guzman's Lawyer, Matthew Luber told NBC10 reporters that "Time and time again, incident after incident, lawsuit after lawsuit, we are seeing sexual assaults, drivers being impaired or intoxicated, and we have yet to see any meaningful change from the company."

I just realized that she can’t sue Uber, she has to sue the driver. The driver is an independent contractor which means he is a business, and as such in charge of the ride. Uber is only the technology platform that allowed the driver to reach the woman in the first place. Which means that the driver is in charge of, and liable for the ride. (Since the driver is not an employee…the penny finally dropped!)
This is one of Uber’s genius business model ways to separate itself from liability. Go Uber!!!

I think that this is a major issue with all of us, as a driver and a passenger. I do a lot of airport rides, and yes, there are days when I get up all grumpy and cranky. I will never take my rage out on my passenger, even if he or she can be a real a-hole, and believe you me I have had my fair share of a-holes that I wish I could ditch in a ditch. Bottom line is this; Uber cannot control the emotional state of the driver, and drivers are independent contractors. I enjoy being self employed, I don’t have any shitty bosses to screw my life over, I can only blame myself. Since I am self employed I do have to make sure I remain employed, and that means eating shit and driving safe. In our business the customer is always right until the f-er leaves my car.

What riders fail to do is, to read the Terms and Conditions of the use of the app. It will clearly state that they are not responsible if something like this would happen. It’s the sole responsibility of the rider to plan accordingly and allow ample time in case of an emergency. There is always the chance that you could also miss a flight because of something out of the control of the driver. Like simply the car breaking down or a flat tire. The problem is like Travis Kalanick himself said: “Some people don’t like to take responsibility for their own shit. They blame everything in their life on somebody else.” BTW, it’s the victim’s lawyer last name “Luber” a joke or a coincidence?

Miguel, you are absolutely right. I always argue with my wife about getting to the airport on time. I like to get there early, usually two hours before the flight. I take into account the half an hour drive including traffic conditions. This means that even if my ride takes an hour longer, I still have one hour of time at the airport to check in.

1 Like