Too many bitter (thinks he's a full-time employee) drivers

I can’t believe how many people out there that believe this is a full-time job.

Uber has marketed it to you as a “drive in your spare time and make some extra cash” type of gig. Nowhere did it say “Quit your day job and drive for Uber full-time, it will be the best career move ever!” If you want to be a full-time driver there is something out there called uh what’s the name? I do this gig 1-2 sometimes 3 nights a week and I’m totally happy with the extra $250-$500.

1 Like

So, $500 a week for how many hours and how many miles did you drive? What were your vehicle expenses aside from gas, do you have any idea. It sounds great but when you do the math most folks are lucky to be making $8.00 an hour and all the risk is on you. Excited newbies become disheartened vets, happens over and over again!!

This shit is so much easier than a second part-time job. All you have to do is drive. Go work at Burger King and get all greasy and stinky dealing with true first class idiots all day.

If I can go out and make $125-150 in 2-3 hours who cares how much it equates to per hour? Sometimes it takes 4-5 hours… but this “$ per hour” is non-sense.

It’s not a job. It’s not a career. It’s far from it but if you learn how to work smarter you can make really good money in a short period of time and be home in time for the Tonight Show.

3 Likes

Some nights it’s $12 an hour, some nights it’s $22 an hour. It averages out anywhere from 50 cents to 80 cents per mile driven. Part of that $1,000 was a $200 referral bonus, which cost me $0 in gas and wear/tear. If I do this long term, I’ll “invest” in a 5 or 6 year old vehicle with higher miles so it won’t depreciate much.

Awe, you’re so cute and clever. Even if it’s a job to do in your spare time, you’re still doing it to make money. You make $250-$500 in how many hours and how many miles (including dead miles)?

Why go flip patties and clean toilets and wash dishes hunched over a sink all day getting nasty… on your feet for 6-9 hours taking trash out… when you could just cruise around with drunk chicks and lonely dudes lol and get paid for it.

1 Like

Even if you don’t care about depreciation, you have indirect expenses related to maintenance. I’ve had to have my shocks replaced on both vehicles I’ve used for uber. Oil changes are probably due every month the way some of you drive. Tires wear out quite regularly. Fluid changes and top offs. So on and so forth.

1 Like

I’m sorry, are uou doing uber to look cool or to make money? If I had financial goals, I’d be spending my time in the most advantageous way I could. That is, I’d be going where the money is.

1 Like

I started ubering when my car had 162K miles on it. This car (2006 300) just sat in the garage because I drive a 2013 300. So… I’m just pulling equity out of a car I hardly drive anymore.

You are delusional. The car is paid up right, so you are giving your “free” car which runs on pixie dust away to Uber, it costs nothing and you’ll just get another free car when it dies, right? Wrong! The car is worth something and each mile you drive it, it’s worth less. That’s called depreciation.

That’s cute. The referral fee that you get now will soon come back to bite you when your fellow partners also take advantage of that good deal and then there’s oversaturation in the market and you make $4/hour.

I don’t know what to tell you if you think it costs you nothing to drive an extra vehicle. For starters, you have additional registration and insurance costs. This isn’t your primary car, so you have to pay for all that on a 2nd car that you don’t really need. Those are added expenses right there. Maybe you only pay $1,000 or so a year, but that’s an expense.

So owning more than 1 vehicle makes it more illegal? I actually own 3 cars, a shitty truck (2004 dodge dakota) and a 2006 honda cb600f sportbike. I have multiple sources of income. I don’t soley rely on Uber but it’s a nice new addition to the revenue stream.

I don’t care how many miles I drove. I put tons of miles on my vehicles doing storage auctions and thrifting for my ebay store so now I can get paid in between my bargain hunting. And I get to visit thrift stores and other resale shops I normally wouldnt or even knew existed.

I don’t want to be a full-time taxi cab driver. I like freedom. I like being able to make money comfortably and have been doing quite well for the past 20 years or so. With or without uber I will always find a way to bring money in.

1 Like

Being a full time taxi driver, I can say its the best way to make money whether its full or part time instead of working under a grumpy boss. You can be your own boss. Forget about the hassle in maintenance, you get the freedom to travel around the city all day! how cool is that?

1 Like

Retired do this 40 hours a week between uber and lyft made 58k last year, if your not making money you dont know what your doing.

1 Like

And all of that is a tax write off.

It depends on what market you’re in…the bigger the city the more demand. I’m in Chicago and we do pretty well here as full time drivers. Drivers in San Francisco make anywhere from 1500-2000 per week…sorry if your market doesn’t have the demand or you’re just simply doing something wrong. But best of luck!