The Uber London MOT Certificate Process And Fees For Class IV And V

Uber requires a Ministry of Transport (MOT) certificate which is an annual test of vehicle safety, road worthiness, and exhaust emissions. This test is mandatory in the UK for most vehicles over three years old.

The MOT has vehicle classifications, and the ones that are of interest to an Uber driver include:

Class IV — Cars weighing more than 450 kg unladen weight, taxis, and minibuses with up to 12 passenger seats.

Class V — Private passenger vehicles, ambulances, motor caravans and dual-purpose vehicles with 13 or more passenger seats

The MOT test checks cars for the following aspects:

• Lighting and signaling equipment
  • Steering and including suspension
  • Brakes
  • Tires and wheels
  • Seat belts
  • Body, structure, and general items. This includes body and components such as spoilers, bumpers, and mirror housings.
  • Exhaust, fuel, and emissions for fossil fuel engines only
  • Driver's view of the road

The fees for an MOT test vary, here is the list for Class IV and V:

Class: Type First Test After (Years) Fee
Class IV: Cars & light vans 3 £54.85
Class IV: Ambulances and taxis 1 £54.85
Class IV: Private passenger vehicles (PPV) (9-12 passenger seats) 1 £57.30
Class IVa: Includes seat belt installation check N/A £64.00
Class V: PPV 13-16 passenger seats 1 £59.55
Class V: PPV More than 16 passenger seats 1 £80.65
Class Va: Includes seat belt installation check (13-16 passenger seats) N/A £80.50
Class Va: Includes seat belt installation check (More than 16 passenger seats) N/A £124.50

MOT testing centers are regulated and licensed by the Department and Transport and DVSA. The test certificate confirms that at the time of the test, the car meets the minimum environmental and road safety standards requirements. It does certify that the vehicle is roadworthy for the duration of the certificate and does not cover engine conditions or the cleanliness of the car.

After you have performed the initial MOT test and received your certificate, you will need to follow the following steps:

1. Make sure you have a valid MOT certificate. If your private hire vehicle (PHV) license was issued for a car that is under one year old, you do not need to take MOT tests. However, for vehicles over one-year-old, since Private hire vehicle certificates are only valid for 6 months, make sure you bring the most recent certificate.

2. Make sure your MOT certificate is for the car you are providing. You can do this easily by pressing the +ADD VEHICLE button in the top right corner of the vehicles tab on your Partner Dashboard. Your MOT vehicles make, and model must match the vehicle on your profile. if the word 'DANGEROUS' appears on the advisory notes of the MOT certificate, Uber will not accept it.

3. Take a photo of your MOT certificate; the photo should include all four corners of the page so that every detail is visible. Uber will not accept blurred images. Upload this photo to the documents section of the application.

While I am living in the US, I am thinking of visiting the UK for a month, and noticed that there are ways for foreign nationals to drive for Uber in the UK, can I apply to drive there with my US driving license? Since I already drive for Uber in the US, do I need to go through the whole application process again?