Please don't complain picking up teenagers

I see that you are in nursing school? You can forget about that if anything happens while you have a minor in your car. You will not be able to be licensed by any state board in addition you will be broke.

admin should delete this post now i think the message was sent before it gets too far ahead.

Not to keep going on and on, but when you say that we should be grateful that they made a better decision, that better decision includes calling their parents to come and get them. Or calling another sober friend or relative to come and get them. Why would you want to step up and place your life, your assets, your family’s future in jeopardy because of a drunk teenager? Or a sober one for that matter.

They can call a parent. Parents are responsible for their children, not me or you brah.

Ya all quit trying to make THIS OK to do.

Best part about all of this, is that if you take a minor by accident and they lied to you about their age. uber does not at all whatsoever punish you in any way. in fact they want you to come clean and tell them if you feel like you’ve taken a minor.

So how does everyone approach the situation? Id like to know. I recently believe i had 2 teenagers

Ask them kindly with a cheery voice like nothing a wrong about their age, if they ask why say for security and app rules.
Once they say they are under 18 ask them to end the ride on their side and say your not allowed to pick up minors, regardless if their parent called it for them or whose account t it belongs to.

So, if it’s Uber and I suspect that they may be a minor (I get a lot of requests from high school locations) I either text or call them and say, “hey, how old are you?” They are usually caught off guard by this question and answer honestly. If they are under 18, I tell them, sorry, I can’t transport minors. They will either ask why (then I explain) or they will try to argue “the other drivers do it!”. I politely tell them sorry, but no. If I show up and they appear to be under age, I ask them and ask for their ID. The ones that I ask for ID will be honest and say that they are not 18. They all just end up calling another driver who will come and get them.

When I first started driving, I didn’t even think about this rule because I didn’t know it was a rule (I should have known) and I transported a few minors unknowingly. If you do, just let Uber and Lyft know that you mistakenly transported a minor. They “say” that they will investigate the account holder but who knows if they really do.

ALSO!
if you started a ride and you tell them no, call Uber or lyft to have them adjust whatever rating they gave you so it doesn’t negatively affect you for you doing your job right!

The ones who don’t know they can’t ride tell you thier age willingly. The ones who are trying to pull a fast one, I can usually tell and ask for id. Most accept it with just a minimum of whining but I have had a few concerning moments with clenched fists and dirty looks. They aren’t told no very often.

In that regard Uber and Lyft maybe operating an unlawful enterprise, if they willfully disavow liability and what is most likely a situation that is all too common in this business. They can’t just on one hand say they accept liability for A and not for B. Strict liability tort law prevents that terms of service be damned. Moreover I don’t know about the rest of y’all but unless somebody is playing a underage I obviously Middle School or a freshman that looks really young most of them don’t necessarily look like they’re underage, in which case most people make the mistake of don’t ask don’t tell, and as soon as such that everyone that gets in their vehicle is who they should be. But as such by trying to strictly disallow liability based on that line alone they may say it in the terms of service but give a good chance with a civil trial judge and jury that won’t fly…

Agreed. Now, all we need is one lawsuit to set legal precedent.

Umm… As a Uber or Lyft driver we agreed to “independent arbitration” … which is paid for by Uber or Lyft therefore more arbitration judge is more likely to rule in favor of Uber’s or Lyft’s best interest.

That means you do not see a jury because you signed that right away.

You can’t constitutionally be forced to sign your rights away, moreover a judge can throw that out if they think it’s erroneous.

Yes, you can be forced. Try to drive for Uber or Lyft without agreeing to arbitration.

By signing the agreement, you acknowledge the fact you are giving up your rights to a standard trial. They even tell you before actually signing that you will be giving up your rights.

And it’s perfectly constitutional.

When we sign on as drivers, we’re accepting the rules as set forth by uber. One of those rules is no rides under 18 without an accompanying adult. Of course there is “what a reasonable man would do” when asking age but, if you purposely ignore the rule, I believe uber has real standing to deny insurance. Not worth the $5 ride for me.

Had a teen girl trying to get a ride home from school. I simply asked if she was over 18, she said no, I apologized and told her I can’t take her. No feelings hurt, and I’m not putting myself at all kinds of risks.

I understand your sentiments but don’t be surprised if something goes terribly wrong and the parents decide to sue both you and Uber.

Today was my first day as an uber drive. I declined a rider because he was 16. Underage. Its the law. Not my problem. Its his family’s!! Im not superwoman. Its not my job to save the world :earth_americas:!!!