How do you all afford commercial insurance?

Andy is correct. In CA, as of last July, we are required to have a “ride-share policy.” It is less than a full commercial policy - more like a “gap” insurance which covers you while your app is on, but you do not have a passenger. Once you have a passenger, Uber insurance takes the lead. My USAA policy has the same provisions as Andy’s, but because of the lower USAA cost, I was able to afford a $250 deductible and 30-day rental car for $77 a month. I don’t know about other states, but in CA insurance companies that do not offer a ride-share policy will not cover you if you are doing ride share when you have an accident - basically making your insurance worthless.

Just curious how hard is it for them to find out really if you don’t have a passenger just yank the tradedress real fast therefore it strictly all on your private insurance. I know in the grand scheme of things that would be construed as insurance fraud but it’s called what they don’t know can’t hurt them and if you don’t have a passenger what business is it that you just happen to be driving around waiting for something to pop up that they don’t know about. Some of us actually like to go cruising around…