How do you all afford commercial insurance?

Just think about it all these limousine companies and taxi companies will do the same thing and called himself rideshare

For those that are financing a vehicle and are doing uber. Be very careful you could lose your vehicle because when you applied for the loan you said personal use not commercial and you’re using your vehicle as a business

For those that say that uber insurance have you seen it do you know the policy number ???

For Uber’s insurance? That’s what the waybill is, it has all the info

Its an umbrella insurance for all there uber drivers. Can you imagine what their insurance rate would be for all this drivers.

Also when you signed up to be a driver did you read the third paragraph which states they are a third-party provider. An there not a transportation company. There a technical company AKA and app

You are not covered !!! You are an independent contractor and uber coverage does not cover you only uber if they are sued!! You need commercial liability coverage

When you’re on the trip you can look up what the insurance is on the app

If you have a perfect driving record in CA, mine was under $110 a month for a 1 mil with 3 mil umbrella policy.

This varies based on state, insurance company and city. People should be careful responding with such hard fast answers.

In CA if you have commercial insurance you might as well get your tcp then you can keep the “booking fee” or formerly “safe rides fee” for yourself. That’s what that fee is for - covering the cost of the insurance while on trip.

because insurance is a state-regulated thing any and all rules related to it will vary from one state to the next.

Geico has a hybrid policy. It covers the personal and commercial use of the vehicle.

For veterans, USAA has a policies that are half the cost of market rate policies

Sounds like your state is not onboard with rideshare insurance. If you have to get commercial, you might as well start your own transportation company.

This is always confusion about this and uber should let people know upfront. You don’t need commercial insurance, however it us in your best interest to have a special ride share addendum on your policy. Not all insurance companies offer them. If you are in an accident WITH a passenger in the car, uber will cover it, however the deductible is $1000, lyft’s is $2500. If you don’t have a passenger it’s on you. If your insurance company gets wind of you ridesharing you will NOT be covered and likely be canceled on top of it.

When I was active driver in Illinois I was using Erie insurance it was about $20/ mo more than my State Farm policy and they covered ride share. I think it was a basic commercial policy.

I just emailed an Allstate agent to see about the specific requirements in my city/state. I will be interested to see what they say :slight_smile:

pretty sure Uber/Lyft insurance companies hold full coverage for your vehicle if your personal policy has full coverage.

Either one will cover if you’re driving to a rider or have one in your car and you have collision coverage. There are deductibles. If you’re just driving and online waiting for a request you would need extra or the accident would have to be 100% the other driver’s fault

In any case stuff like the deductible no matter how you slice it if you planning properly should be part of any emergency fund. Anybody depending on something like this in whole or in part would be foolish not to.