Has anyone found better rates than what Geico offered me today, and, if so, can you enlighten me as to what companies they are?

Progressive rideshare. It’s about $30 more and they cover the difference in your deductible if you get into a accident in stage 2 or 3.

I strongly suggest immediately going with a new insurance carrier, because now yours knows that are doing ridesharing (or at least suspects that you are, since you asked them directly). They’ll drop you in a New York minute, and even if they don’t, if you ever DO get into an accident, they’ll deny the claim and say that you were violating the terms of your contract (which you are).

I never give out personal info. That’s what the Uber Insurance is for. OMG, people…didn’t anyone ever school u on this stuff? Jesus. Never give out your personal info. Never. They know they won’t get squat from Uber so they come after u. They can’t if u don’t give them that info. If u have a pax in the car and wreck only give out the rivers ins company name. U can find it in your providence. OMG. U deserve higher rates. Think, people. Think. U we had a million dollar policy in u and pax.

The key is to understand the 3 stages of ridesharing. In my understanding its not a legal issue unless there is fraud involved and i will explain. Stage 1: app is on & ur waiting for a ride request. There is limited liability from uber but NO coverage for u or ur car. Stage 2: accepted ride and going 2 pick up passenger. Uber coverage kicks in. I believe 1k deductible. Stage 3: passenger in vehicle. Uber coverage continues from stage 2.

One of the main reasons the companies charge extra for ridesharing is bc ur on the road more often so their liability exposure is higher

State Farm knows I drive for both and even communicated with James River Ins when I totalled my car while online without a rider. They had no issue and there was no rate increase. (NY)

.I know this could a tough task…all that Uber Insurance is for? Window dressing? It’s for US to use. Get it? The drivers and pax in the car. Not your private insurance…I know it’s $1000 deductible. Big whoop. But why in the world do, or want, give out your personal info? All they’ll do then is come after YOU.

Your all comparing Apples to oranges… every state is different. Without knowing what state your in when you brag about your rates, your input is totally useless

So you probally got quoted for 10k miles a year right? Now your drive hundreds more a day or week? Your exposure to a loss is extremely greater now as well as a secondary law suit from a pax. There is no commercial insurance in the world for driving that’s a 100 bucks a month. That’s a screaming deal for the exposure and liability you are to them now. It’s a cost of business man.

Umm don’t tell ur personal ins! That’s why uber has ins! If something happens don’t give out your personal info to the pax!

Great advice! Brother, you obviously know absolutely nothing about this part of rideshare.

Let’s try to no give out poor advice when it comes to people’s livelihood.

That is really not that bad. You are also covered with the $1 million policy Uber provides for X, Select drivers.

Try $550 per month per car, Uber doesn’t cover shit and they take 28%

How do you feel now?

Former Geico employee here.

Your contract with geico specifically does not allow for business use of the vehicles on it. It’s a risk that is not being rated for, and a big reason your rates are so much lower than with other companies. Driving for business purposes increases the likelihood of you being involved in an accident exponentially. More time on the road, more distractions…its just a fact.

You do not have a choice but to change your service with geico. If they even have a whif of rideshare, they will cancel your auto policy because as I initially said, it invalidates your contract with them. They will require documentation to show you have other insurance on the relevant vehicle before restarting or continuing coverage on any other vehicle.

I got NJM, $27/month for ride share insurance. I initially went to NJM because Geico’s quote tripled NJM’s quote, they tried to justify it by saying you get roadside coverage too, yeah, NJM does that as well. Oh, I have a perfect driving record and great credit. Sorry, I do t understand how Geico is cheaper in New Jersey, maybe elsewhere in the country??

Wow, Geico was happy to cancel my auto policy and transfer me to commercial after getting a quote of $14 more for the commercial. Plus, they lowered my deductable from $1,000 to $100, and increased my coverage substantially. I’m thinking a lot of the posts or answers here are from people just guessing or making it up. Last year I donated my truck to my business and changed the insurance to commercial as well, same company, Geico. Better coverage, less payment. Maybe it’s where I live, I don’t know, but commercial has always been lower premiums in LA.

geico told me (when rideshare first started up here) they they do not offer coverage. period. i asked “so if i want to be covered i have to go somewhere else?” answer was yes. maybe it’s changed

They charge more because you are driving more and your ARE NOT covered by Uber/Lyft when you are driving around waiting for you next ride - only on the way to a pickup and while the pax is in the car.

State Farm is one of the best ones. They cover you during all periods of ridehsare except for liability during periods 2 and 3. I had an accident back in January on an active Uber trip and the process went well with some minor hiccups when I had to process the claim. Luckily for me I had an excellent agent that went to bat for me. Check to see if State Farm is available for ridehsare coverage in your state. Also check Mercury insurance, here in California they cover you for all three periods. I’m not sure about liability though. The reason you want ridehsare is the deductible and not to have to rely on James River which is Ubers insurance provider. And York which is Lyft’s provider. James River charges a 1,000 :dollar: deductibke and York charges a 2,500 :dollar: deductible. That’s why it’s best to get ride share insurance.

I didn’t read all the posts…
However…
Upstate NY Drivers are still screwed!!!

Allstate charges 20.00 for 6 months. This covers you on the way to pickup pax, when your with pax and when you drop off pax.

Unless they have different rules in different states here in California Allstate only covers you during period one and not during periods 2 and 3.