AV Crashes and How Uber & Alike are Dealing with Them

It is obvious that car crashes will be abundant with AV's. It's not due to AV errors, its due to two totally different thought processes working together in the same place. Humans crash every day, the reasons are numerous, and for some reason, AV technology companies think that their cars are impervious, blaming everything on the human driver. However, what the AV techs dot consider is that every decision made by a human driver is based on the perception of reality, and humans are not LiDAR's, our perception is filtered not accurate. In this instance, what AV tech is not including in their calculations are the fuzzy logic algorithms accounting for how a human will react in any given situation, all AV's do, are calculate distances between solid objects and review scenarios. These scenarios do not include "the hand of God," which in this case is the hand of man on another vehicle steering wheel. That is why AV will only work properly with 99.5% accident-free driving in a human-free ecosystem, anything less will generate an increase in accidents, not reduce them.

Here are a few examples of what has happened with AV's in the small time they have had on public roads.

Pittsburgh, PA. February 24th the case in question is a left turn. Left turns require that the driver make sure that there is no oncoming traffic and that they integrate into the lane as quickly and as safely as possible. Jessica McLemore was the human driver in this incident, the place was the four-lane Liberty Avenue, heading Northeast. McLemore claims that the Uber driver came from the opposite direction and stated that there were no more oncoming cars, she had her left turn signal on, and the Uber AV had its right turn signal on. As McLemore started to make the left turn, the other car didn't turn right, but continued straight on and slammed into the side of McLemore's vehicle.

According to McLemore, she and the Uber safety driver in the AV stopped and got out to confront each other. The driver agreed that both cars had their turn lights flashing and that his AV was in control of the car. What the Uber driver said was "I was not expecting someone to turn from the far-left lane into my lane." McLemore has everything recorded on a dashcam video which she maintains in her car.

Uber released a brief statement claiming that the AV in question did have its turn light on since it was planning to turn. McLemore claims that Uber has not replied to her request for damages and will pursue the issue further.

In another crash incident that happened in 2017, GM's AV Cruise project had an incident when one of it's AV's crashed into a motorbike in San Francisco. According to the reports, the AV was getting ready to change lanes, and as it started to make the change, a bike came up alongside it, most probable to overtake it, and then the AV decided that it did not have enough clarity to make the change and corrected its position. This caused the AV car to swipe the bike. GM Cruise claimed that the bike rider was at fault, since he should not have come so close to the car.

However we think that it doesn't matter where the bike was. If the Cruise LiDAR worked properly, then it would have noticed the bike and would not have come back. This is a serious "blind" issue for the Cruise LiDAR and points to flaws in its development. Having stated this, the two incidents go on to prove that an AV environment will only work in a 100% human-free system. Once AV's are on the road, they can communicate with each other and the traffic system, this will ensure and assure full safety protocols to be active. The moment you add a human into the equation, you add chaos, and this is the reason why AV's cannot be allowed to drive on human roads., or for humans to drive on AV roads. The number of accidents will only increase, not decline

I honestly don’t see how a self-driving car would work…half the time we can’t find the PAX right away, so we have to call, or text…how is that going to work with a driverless car? And what about messes in the car? Puke, urine, spilled drinks, trash? Oh, and who is going to verify if the rider is over 18? WAY too many problems with this.

I just see how passengers treat vehicles when there is a driver, so I can only imagine how they’ll treat a vehicle with no supervision. People are animals.

Driverless cars get in accidents all the time. It isn’t a matter of ending accidents; it is about reducing the accidents. Driverless cars are safer, get into fewer accidents and save lives. Driverless cars don’t get tired, don’t use cell phones and never drink and drive. Just know that in 10 years almost all driving will be automated.

Good news for us! Every time GPS messes up and can’t find someones pick up or drop off location it makes me think how in the world would a driverless car that can’t think outside the box ever find the location.

All drivers know that the GPS hasn’t been perfected just from the time it’s routed driver to the back alley of the house or middle of the expressway cause the house sits off from the expressway not to mention when passengers try to drop a pin location and the GPS sends the driver four block away somewhere or when there’s bad weather or more than normal driver on the road GPS and app malfunction every time. It’s a lot of minor problems that can cause big problems that need to be corrected with live drivers before driverless car can be safe.

I sit and lol with your comments… Are you people truly this stupid? YES, it’s happening, and it is REALITY. Waymo will most likely have driverless cars on the road without a driver like today. I live in Phx, and there are probably 60 at least driverless cars in testing in one major suburb. I see them 5 x a day driving. Wayo is way far ahead and will beat Uber to the punch most likely utilizing LYFT. So all you idiots who are worried about losing your job, you are and will eventually. Get a grip.

AV’s are a fact, and they work and will work even better and will continue to improve and in 20 years time people will forget what it was like to live without AV’s, just as much as people forget what it was like to use a dial phone, or pay for a public call with coins. The automization process is an ongoing one and just as the horse was replaced by the car, the driver will be replaced by software and hardware.