Ugh... Finally happened... My Toyota Prius C's hybrid battery gave out

During a pool, three ladies in the car. I was able to drive the block remaining to drop off one… Then I apologized to the other two, dropped them off in a safe place to catch another Uber.
$3,650 to repair. I hope to get it back by Wednesday so I can get back to earning.
I did expect it, but you always hope it will be needed later rather than NOW. I did get over 171,000 miles out of it.

Must be a newer prius. The older prius needed battery replacement about every 60k miles and batteries were over $5k to replace back then

For a gen 2 Nickel pack you got a pretty good life out of it! I always read about the gen 2 packs giving out at around 140-160k

MAYBE gen 1 was that bad. But doubtful. My 2006 was at about 180 before it gave me trouble. Spent about $500 total, recognitioning the pack twice. I got it to 270k before parking it.
But the Prius C in question here is a gen 3. I would expect better. But there are many factors

My Toyota Prius got 215,000 before mine gave out. My friend can get me or anyone a New one for $2,500 once the core is turned in. Contact me through messages if you want a new Hybrid battery. Im trying to save up for the $2,500 :frowning:

Hi, repairing the battery cost you $300 only why to replace it all? Search and it not that much cost .

Literly any where that is not a rip off reselling batteries from the wreckers. Watch the you tube videos this stuff is really easy to swap

You can find people sometimes that refurbish old batteries. You can get a refurbished one put in instead of a new one. Call a few of your local repair shops, they might know someone. It’s a lot cheaper!

Checkout YouTube and priuschat.com
You can replace the bad modules with presumably better, but still old, modules. Then it’s aboout a week of deep discharging and charging with a grid charger or complicated wiring with a number of RC chargers. This balances the pack and is an important step. These repair companies are likely either replacing the whole pack, presumably balanced, or replacing modules on site. I’d definitly go with the former.
You may get about another year, before requiring another rebuild. It’s a game of whack-a-mole. The only way to get new modules is to buy a whole 28 module pack from Toyota. Or you can get inferior Chinese packs. Someone on priuschat started selling presumably better US designed cylindrical modules that are manufactured in China. I may try those. But I have a 2012 getting me by.

I spoke to a few of those repair outfits and heard what I’d call b.s. I’d do some research before handing over $$.

When you sit idling waiting for trips your hybrid battery is charging and discharging the same as if you where driving and that is the reason you only got 171k. You could of bought a salvage batter for about $1200 and changed it out yourself. It is not that hard.

Thats why I’ll never buy a hybrid or an electric car!!!

The cost per mile of operation of my 2011 Prius at 400,000 miles was 18.5 cents. That is why I will only drive a hybrid as a service vehicle. I now have 427,000 but it is going up very slowly because it is hardly ever worth driving for FUber and Thyft.

The Prius has VERY little maintenance. Overall, a Prius driver is still far ahead of the game, in regards to maintenance cost. But of course, you’re not thinking that once you DO actually need to drop a few grand.

The cost per mile of operation of my 2011 Prius at 400,000 miles was 18.5 cents. That is why I will only drive a hybrid as a service vehicle. I now have 427,000 but it is going up very slowly because it is hardly ever worth driving for FUber and Thyft.

Dude these are easy to change even more than oil. You could do cell test and be closer to 400 800 total all in for a refresh

Just a heads up. I can go on www.copart.com and buy a wrecked version of my car right for less than 500$ pull every part I would ever need and scrap the rest to the junk yard local and get most of the money spent for the shipping. And them have a ton of parts on hand such as my larger PHEV battery pack and use it with the house with to solar panels ect

That sounds like the stealership price. The local taxi mechanic will swap it out with a refurbished battery for $700. Swapping out individual cells is even cheaper. I’m running a hundred and fifty thousand miles on my 2014 with no signs of slowing down.

a non hyrid battery costs alot less, all the money you saved on gas, just went away “poof”

You may be a little confused about how a hybrid works. Or I’m confused as to your meaning.