Uber advertise that we get work on our own schedule

is it OK to not share important information with the independent contractor? If the independent contractor just not happy enough information to make an intelligent decision, should the independent contractor be able to ask questions?

Is it ok? What is this, 3rd grade? They can share as much or as little info as they like. You are free to work with them on those terms or not. Ask questions to Uber? All you want–but they are not obligated to answer any of them. Answer questions to Uber’s passengers? Only so far as Uber allows–they are Uber’s customers after all. (Sidenote, you too, are Uber’s customer.

I’m sorry but this whole argument is ridiculous. Just as in any other job whether employee, IC or owner, if you need to make appointments you make them for when you are not working. You don’t make appointments in the middle of the day. As far as picking up kids, have a back up plan for those very rare occasions when a trip last longer than expected. I have 6 kids and maybe 1 or 2 times a year I don’t finish in time. In the IC world which I have been a part of for over 16 years in many different areas, you very seldom know how your day is going to go. It’s the same as when you are driving for company. When you are on the road things happen, you deal with and move on. Is there a job you were ever happy with? If so, go back to it and stop complaining about every single thing. I don’t like the fact that they don’t show the destination but fully understand why the do it that way and don’t expect them to change it. If you drive a taxi, you never know where you are going. The closest thing you will have to perfection is if you own your own business, but not everything will still go your way all the time.
Just my two cents.

if we are IC, we do own our own business. If a specific job doesn’t make sense for us for any (legal) reason we have no obligation to do it.

There is nothing wrong with the fact that I am willing to work right now as long as the passenger is less than 5 minutes away and is going less than 10 miles.

The beauty of being self employed is having the ability to do the jobs that we want to do.

I agree. I had 2 hours I could work. Had a pax need to go to Northern Virginia which is over an hour away. I had to cancel him and apologize.