Uber 1099 Tax Forms Download Problem?

I’ve twice tried to download the 1099 forms from my account page after being informed they were ready, and both times, the only copy that is available is Copy B, which is the recipient’s copy for my own records. It does not include Copy A which must be filed with the IRS and/or the state. When I contacted the ‘help support team’ about not being able to print the correct IRS forms, their response was as if they never read what I wrote. I ask for the time; They tell me how to make a watch. They open the standard response playbook, cut and paste whatever answer they think will handle the situation and then move on to the next help request. This is the response I got:

Hi Edward,

Thanks for reaching out regrading the tax. I’m happy to look into this.

Partners use the Uber platform in different ways. Potential deductible business-related expenses may vary depending on how your business is set up. Your annual Tax Summary will provide a breakdown of business-related expenses that may be deductible.

Uber does not provide tax advice. We recommend that you seek guidance from a qualified tax service like TurboTax and/or contact an independent tax professional for specific answers to tax questions. You can also check out [this article] and the IRS website for more information. While Uber does not provide tax advice, we do provide a number of resources that should help point you in the right direction. This includes discounts and new services available through TurboTax, or we recommend reaching out to an independent tax professional for specific questions. We appreciate your understanding. You can always get in touch through the Help section of the app.

Sent by SakshiT on Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 6:49:39 AM

How that has anything whatsoever to do with what I asked, I have no idea. Is anyone else having a problem with these forms?

All Uber driver-partners will receive a tax summary. Only drivers meeting the IRS 1099-K and 1099-MISC earnings thresholds will have 1099 documents available.

Here’s more info:
https://www.uber.com/drive/tax-information/tax-documents/

Who gets it? We’ll send you a 1099-K if:

• You earned more than $20,000 in customer payments in the last year and
  • You provided at least 200 rides or deliveries in the last year

That’s funny. Your response is just like the support ‘help’ response. They didn’t read what I wrote either. I ask for the time, you tell me how to build a watch. I didn’t ask about the threshhold. I’m aware of the threshold. $41,000 last year. $38,000 this year. I meet the threshold, so I know the documents. The 1099 is available. Unfortunately, explaining again, only the Copy B of the 1099 form, which is the copy for my records is what prints. Copy A that is required to file with the IRS is not included. I’m guessing you use the same answer book the support folks do.

Every driver gets Copy B and that is your copy and for the IRS. Uber has always provided just one 1099-K.

I have never sent the 1099-K copy to the IRS as all my filings have been done online, but I never had any issue with IRS asking for the copy. I think as long as you enter the correct info from the form on your tax return you do not need to send a physical copy to the IRS.

Edit: BTW I have done taxes with Uber’s 1099-K Copy B for the past six years without any issues.

It’s not that often I am confronted with classic examples of Logical Fallacies, but here I am.
Argument from Personal Incredulity or _Argumentum ab personalis Incredulitas: Asserting that another’s argument must be false because you personally don’t understand it or can’t follow its technicalities.
For instance, one person might claim, “I don’t understand that engineer’s argument about how airplanes can fly, therefore, I don’t believe they can.”
Au contraire. The listener’s own mental limitations do not limit the physical world—so airplanes are able to fly in spite of a person’s inability to understand how. One person’s lack comprehension is not relevant to the truth of a matter. Therefore, Creating an answer based on a question that wasn’t asked and then using that answer to explain a situation that doesn’t exist is political rather than logical. A response that ignores the original query and substitutes a solution that wasn’t requested and has no bearing on the outcome is not only moot but irrelevant. From reading your profile, I’m guessing you’re less interested in actually making a viable contribution than you are in acquiring merit badges. Your adding links to your answer, with their official looking Uber icons that open pages not relevant to the subject, seem to serve your agenda as self-appointed forum guru. I couldn’t care less how you file your taxes or what issues you may or may not have had in the process of doing so. Doesn’t answer my query. I don’t file online and, therefore, need the proper forms to do so, which, by the way, Uber has provided for the previous three years. This is the first year they have not, so once again, may I suggest that unless you can offer some knowledgeable advice that actually helps, you find some other opportunity to increase your badge count and your ‘skill’ level and don’t bother wasting my time and yours. But thanks for playing. It’s been fun.

I don’t know why your pants are on fire. Maybe call the fire department? :face_with_monocle: I only tried to help you out bud. I don’t know what you mean by “viable” contribution. I don’t pretend to be part of Uber nor do I live to earn some forum badges.

This is a drivers forum, not a professional CPA forum. Obviously, my help is only limited to what I can see on my Uber account and what I have done in the past. As far as I can see on my account, Uber only provided “Copy B” of the 1099-K form. I have filed taxes myself and through a CPA over the years with only “Copy B” form and was never once asked to provide “Copy A” by the CPA or the IRS. That’s all I’m trying to tell you. If you need more help about this issue, you should consult a CPA or ask on a CPA forum.

Oh please… I spent an hour searching threads and it practically impossible to not find you leaving comments on most of them. Most are purely informational that most drivers already know. On several, you try to ‘educate’ the masses by copy/pasting info from available Uber documents and/or by linking to existing pages that earn you more badges. Just a random sampling of other user profiles show very few people who match your numbers. So, is all this out of citizenship? Frankly, I doubt it. You responded to my first post by instantly telling me how many rides you’ve done. Reminded me of an old Ken’l Ration commercial. Beyond that, the comment had nothing tangible to offer. But you do gather the brownie badges every time you click on something, don’t you? I’ve yet to read a thread subject about which you don’t have an opinion. Whether that opinion has any relevancy to the subject or offers any usable advice to the reader seems to not matter. Oh… and I’m not your ‘bud’… trust me on that.

Someone forgot to take their pills. Please take your medicine before you hurt someone or yourself. I think tax returns are the least of your problems. First visit your doctor and then a cpa.