Proof being picky about rides pays off!

Try this little trick. Accept the ride (that you don’t want) then cancel and choose 'Other" as the reason. But do it as fast as you can.

I read that tip and tried it this past week. I’m pretty sure it worked (at least most of the time as my acceptance rate was 95% highest ever).

This trick also helps you be available for other pings faster since you do it in a few seconds rather than wait 15 seconds.

I noticed that once it was k/o’d of San Antonion, there’s a lot less business here in Austin. I figure people are coming in to work. I can’t believe Uber is still trying to operate in a city they’ve been booted from.

That might be great to test out. I actually rejected a few calls and somehow it didn’t register with UBER and I think I had a 97% when I should have had about 91%.

a lot of people have been going up there which I also think is pointless because unless you have a place to stay, you’re never going to make enough to cover the cost of gas to get there and back and even a cheap hotel room.

We’re beyond desperate right now, but there is no way to make money driving for Uber here or in Austin if you don’t already live there so I can’t figure out why anyone is still trying. It was borderline before, but now there is no profit margin (even discounting vehicle maintenance or depreciation) no matter how you do the math.

Can you set up ride share through Craigslist until you get a nice list of people that can text or email you for rides? I figure you can go in with a few people on an app.

how are you averaging $40/hour at these rates?

i cant put in 60 hours though

how can you make 2 grand a week at current Uber rates?

and although they havent said anything to you, surely Uber says/emails other people that have low acceptance rates

I’ve been averaging 30-50 percent acceptance rates in OKC for two months. I got one “notice” from Uber that I’m far below my peers (90 percent). I emailed Uber and stated that I would not accept rides beyond a 5 minute ETA and got a standard response about customer expectations and that I should not turn on the app unless I was going to accept all rides.

its not about standards, i doubt anyone WANTS to take a ping thats 45min away, i doubt anyone WANTS to take a ping outside of the current surge area they are in. Its not about what we want, everybody wants to pick and choose pings,but its about what Uber will ALLOW. Ultimately uber will allow but so much before they fire you.

It’s kind of nonsensical that they should give you any grief. You may have a refusal rate of 50% (compared to 90% for others) or so, but according to your screen shot, you seem to have run twice as many calls as your fellow drivers.

If Uber can set their rates at whatever they want regardless of costs and drivers aren’t forced to sign on to the app… There should be allowance to turn down calls. Clearly, given your number of calls, what you are doing works. That should hint that the typical UberXer is making at best 1/2 of what you are which isn’t much for SF working 60 hours a week.

I just went back and looked at his fares/hour. They are only slightly higher than drivers who seem to be running 1/2 the number of calls. Forget the refusal rate, the screen says he is running 2x the number of calls as the drivers with high acceptance rates… Why is his hourly almost the same? If you are driving 60 hours per week, you aren’t chasing surges, you are putting your time in. Not sure I buy what I’m reading on that screen anymore.

So the top drivers did 72 trips, drove 31.7 hours, made $39/hr and accepted 97% of rides. This is not the average of one group of “top drivers”. This is four groups, the top drivers by hours, by fares/hr by acceptance rate and by trip driven.

I assumed the numbers are all relative. What you are describing is another example of Uber Algebra. So basically, what I am reading suggests you are doing better than the typical cherry picker. Just one more example of meaningless Uber statistics to keep a person mindlessly humming along.

Given the Uber reality and the fact that your refusal of calls is completely up front and you are being accountable, It is hard not to respect that. Someone isn’t doing their job right, or not delivering much if a driver needs to refuse 50% of their assignments to make it work. That shows a lack of dispatching. There is none.

I can confirm also that acceptance rate has not had any impact from uber for me. Once daytime guarantees were nixed in CT, my acceptance rate has been below 80 for the past month, lowest week has been 34% I believe, haven’t had a single text or email from uber about it and am making more $ per week and more trips than I did when I worked the guarantees and accepted every lousy ping, then went and hid.