One of the reasons why I still Uber regardless of the rates

I mean, how big of a douche do you have to be to blame the strikers instead of the company that caused them to strike?!

Next time I am going to blame the fast food workers for striking because I can’t get a Big Mac and too lazy to go somewhere else

I am sure there were other means of transportation around, if she is lying about what happened, Karma will come back and bite…it always does

She should’ve got a taxi. It’s not community service

Thought this was a positive minded group. No need to be nasty and mean-spirited. It should be ok for people to express themselves without being attacked for what they say.

1.) Uber not available for 15 minutes and your kid is waiting… find an alternative, however…

2.) Unless you’re standing in a busy metropolitan center, you can’t just hail a cab… you get put on their waiting list (+ drive time to you from God knows where), so it’s still likely to take an hour to get to the kid. Someone else mentioned buses, they drive specific routes on specific schedules, so again, not time friendly.

3.) If she hailed multiple drivers and kept getting cancelled with the “I’m striking” text, she has every reason to be pssed. If you’re going to turn on, you have a responsibility to your clientele. Every single driver that made her life a living hell of worry about getting to her kid can go fck themselves and probably shouldn’t be driving in the first place. If you’re going to turn on, drive. If you’re not going to drive, don’t turn on.

4.) If you choose to strike, and want to make your voice heard - do it w/o screwing up someone else’s day. All you’re doing is alienating riders that will continue to find alternative transportation, which means less rides for you when the Uber market returns to a reasonable balance. If you want to make a difference, pen a letter to the editor or write a blog post, make a sign and picket somewhere meaningful, or find some other way to get your point across…

I’m a full time Uber driver, and I hate the rate cuts. However, when the game changed, I adapted, and am still productive and, most importantly, profitable.

In conclusion, you can make your voice heard without being a d*ck. The “I’m striking” text when canceling on passengers is the ultimate form of blame shifting, or fake guilt.

I’m with you…but on the other hand I feel like if customers/riders complain to uber rather than the drivers that they might care more and make changes quickly.

I work out of Orange County, CA for 90 cents per mile and am still profitable but in Detroit it’s like 30 cents per mile. At rates like that you have to make a statement to make a difference and drivers cancelling on riders and letting them know why is a great way to make a statement in my opinion. Yes it may be inconvenient for the rider but so is having your rates cut and making less money

Just as it is not Uber’s responsibility to make certain these drivers earn enough for them to pay whatever they need to pay, it’s not Uber’s responsibility to ensure this mother gets to her kids.

If Uber doesn’t meet your needs its up to you to stop using it!

We should have carried her piggyback and gone wee wee wee wee all the way home.

No. If you don’t want to take her, don’t accept the call. If you don’t want to drive, don’t turn on.

It’s not the passengers responsibility to ensure we’re paid fairly, that’s Uber’s. The pax are just trying to get somewhere, on time.

It’s not their fault, don’t blame them for a damn thing, and you better not take your frustration out on them.

Charity, donating your time and losing money pays your mortgage? Are taxis non existent there? I did his full time. Invested more time then not daily. Invested more money then most drivers to advertise etc. And this is how they treat us overnight. No warning. No notice to find other means of income to pay my mortgage, car loan, utility bills, bills rolling in from Christmas because I thought I’d still have the income to pay them and now this is how they treat their independent contractors?? And you want to now side with them and continue to help them make money off your losses? To each their own I guess…

You invested foolishly, spent frivolously, and are now crying foul when Uber and Lyft do the same thing they’ve done every year for the last three (at least) - drop prices.,

I still drive and make a decent profit - because I’m smart about how I operate my business. I’m still above $1.00/mile, so not screwed like drivers in Detroit. I’m not happy, at all, with the arbitrary cuts but I know who is responsible - Uber, not the passengers. If you can’t pay your mortgage on Uber pay, then your time is probably better spent finding a way to make ends meet for the short term.

Btw… I’m not “siding” w/ Uber. They’ve p*ssed me off. But I’m also not siding w/ a poorly run, mismanaged, unorganized protest that has no hopes of achieving anything. Whining is a poor form of protest.

I agree, the taxi, bus and family and friends could have helped her…
I’m not saying that I wouldn’t have, but don’t try that guilt trip with me.
Here in Ca rates have dropped so bad that a 10min drive to pick up someone and 11min to get them to there destination is yielding anywhere from 3 to the 4 dollars.
Please, it’s not worth it…

I’ve noticed you mention the rate cut they tip. Example: $48 in 4 hrs, $29/tips on 6 drives.