NYC Update: Ridesharing Overtakes Yellow Cab Rides by 65%

During the first quarter of 2017, rideshare rides overtook yellow cab rides by 65%. In February 2017 over 10 million rides were attributed to rideshare cars, this figure grew to 15 million rides per month towards the end of the year.

While Uber's growth did decline during 2017, it did not slow down the onslaught of ridesharing companies expansion into NY, where Lyft, Via, Juno and Gett all compete with Uber and the yellow cabs. Gett is not a rideshare app; it 's a taxi app, but it is not a yellow cab taxi app, so we added them to the rideshare list.

As of December 2017, Uber surpassed 10 million rides a month in NYC all by itself, and Lyft came in closest with 2.5 million rides. Lyft has been growing steadily against Uber, starting from the start of 2017 when the #deleteUber campaign started to come into life. It doubled its number of rides from 15% to 30% of all rideshare rides in the US.

Another interesting fact is how rideshare has overtaken the satellite boroughs of NYC, where places such as Brooklyn and Queens that were usually the territory of green and yellow cabs are now the territories of Uber and Lyft. Both Uber and Lyft individually outsize green and yellow cabs combined.

2018 looks like a bad year for yellow cabs in NYC. It is also looking like an excellent year for Uber and another steady year for Lyft. Under its new leadership, Uber is concentrating on making itself great in the US, and 2018 will be a year where Uber, with a slight nudge from SoftBank, will start to re-consolidate its status in the US., perhaps taking back some of the percentages that Lyft managed to cover during 2017.

it was obvious that NYC would fall to ridesharing. Uber and Lyft are both strong and getting stronger. The yellow cabs can be strong too if they adapt and take on apps such as Gett and Caibfy, it would be the only way they could fight both Uber and Lyft. Perhaps they should ask Didi to bring them the Tokyo Taxi app, which would end the WWII invasion of the US by the Japanese, much like the German invasion of BMW’s and Merc’s. It just goes to show that yesterdays enemy is tomorrows friend and there is no loyalty when there is money to be found.

Maybe if they treated people better and kept up with technology, then they would have been OK.

This is Miami rates, but from my house to the airport the estimate is $100 to take a taxi. For Lyft it is about $30, a big disparity in fares.

Um, did I miss it when they came around and said, NO, your business will never be ruined, wiped out by a disruptive technology? Boo hoo, you went into business, you took a risk. You are NOT too big to fail!

I am an Uber driver and I admit I do feel sorry for the taxi drivers…it is a losing battle for them to try and compete against Uber…the only passengers they get are people who don’t realize that Uber is available, once a person knows the story…they pick Uber damn near 100% of the time…rightfully so.

I don’t feel sorry for any can driver who invested in a system that monopolized an industry on sorry service, and ass takes rates tough shit your kids can’t go to school for free on your wallet it’s called competition, and you bet on the wrong horse.