My boyfriend received a call today from “Uber” saying he qualifies for some kind of Halloween bonus

Hey everyone, my boyfriend received a call today from “Uber” saying he qualifies for some kind of Halloween bonus and they gave him some kind of account information to receive said bonus…he’s not 100 % fluent in English but understood enough to follow the instructions given… I had warned him some time ago about scammers but he forgot… I fear they may have accessed his earnings… he’s on his way home so we can look at what he did🙄. Have any of you guys received such a call and if the money has not been taken yet how can we prevent that from happening??? Btw he has my FB to access this group… should he cash out right away to prevent losing his earnings?? He usually gets his funds via direct deposit on Wednesday’s… appreciate your feedback, thanks.

I would cash out right away if he gave them access… but if he gave them access then they most likely cashed out before him.

:frowning: he’s on the highway but i don’t want him to cash out to their account in error so he’s waiting to get to me… also would they just get access to his earnings for today or what he has already earned for last week? Because his pay week starts on a Monday… and ends on a Sunday… thanks for responding​:slightly_smiling_face:

they would get access to any $ thats still in there that he havent cash out .

I think it depends on how long ago they accessed his account, I can’t cash out from last week’s earnings anymore and I didn’t work today. I only do direct deposit myself.

He said they gave him a banking card number… no routing number was given so it’s like a debit/bank card…

Change the banking info to match his own before trying to cash out…change all acct passwords. After verifying that the money is going into his acct then and ONLY then cash out…if they gave him bank info to put in then they are hoping he cashes out or doesnt catch on first…cause the money will go into their bank since he changed his bank info.

He should definitely confirm the bank account attached is all his account then cash out and change pw but i doubt they got his log-in info and didn’t go through all that already. I’m mad we’re a target for this but even more bothered we keep falling for it.

Okay so the way this whole scam thing happens is the order you to pick them up once they request you they call you and tell you that they’re calling from Uber that they’re just verifying some information so they need you to verify your account information and password they go in access your bank account switch it to theirs get the money transferred but before all they do all that they tell you okay go ahead and cancel the ride and put do not charge customer LMFAO. And so what they do is get your bank info switch to theirs for instant pay and they just withdraw your money

just happened to my friend but they didn’t get to his money cuz they were having issues switching banking info so they contacted uber via his account and uber text him that they replied to his email and that helped him intercept them taking his money

What they do is: call, say that they gonna cancel(because they requested). Ask for the phone number. Then they say that you gonna receive a promotional code. At this point, they already entered your phone number in the uber website and request the code to be sent to phone. When you give them the code they have total access to your account.

Call uber support immediately and let them know that somebody could have access to the account

I added his current bank but it’s not showing… how long does it take to show when you change or update bank information?

I once had Uber supposedly calling me regarding an incident and asking for my info, I said sure and hung up! I then called them via the app and was told that THEY NEVER CALL YOU, ALL DONE VIA EMAILS unless something major but they’ll inform you over the app first! They took the number down, they have a scam dept!

All he had to do was keep driving to the pick up point. Kept the scammer on the on the phone. Wait to collect the no show fee & keep it moving.

Change the banking info to match his own before trying to cash out…change all acct passwords. After verifying that the money is going into his acct then and ONLY then cash out…if they gave him bank info to put in then they are hoping he cashes out or doesnt catch on first…cause the money will go into their bank since he changed his bank info.

Hey tell him to call uber support and make theme aware it happend to my mom i called hed monday morning to talk and she told me wat happend i told her to call asap they put a hold for 2 day since she changed the bank account so had to wait another week to get paid oh and uber changed her bank info from their end

They probably went in and change the banking info so that they can have his money deposited to their account. Total scam. Uber doesn’t call us with promos etc

Call Uber yourself or better yet get to a Greenlight Station ASAP. There’s good suggestions here, but honestly you need to be on top of this with Uber and ensure Uber has the right info. If he’s with Lyft or any other service call them and verify his dd info too.

My driver account is fine but my rider account was compromised by Russian hackers and Uber had to create a new account twice so don’t be sorry later.

cash out but make sure he checks to see where it is going. Change his passwords to his e-mail, bank, and apps.