In Houston if Uber is covering fares up to $50 to/from shelters I assume the person can still tip out of pocket(via app I mean)

I’m asking for the person out there that’s gonna get a PAX that sees their ride is free due to the Uber hurricane promotion but because the Pax who always tips drivers wants a sense of normalcy and they don’t want to be treated like a victim (see the young lady that cussed the news people out on CNN for having cameras all in her face)they insist on tipping.

I’m sure they can do both still but I would have to agree with John… that should be least of concerns. Stay safe out there and best of luck

Absolutely these riders have plenty of monumental concerns (as will many drivers), but if they wish to show gratitude in tip form that’s for them to decide, and I’m sure the question will come up, so I don’t see a need to scold anyone asking. Since I’m not there I’m not sure if they’d still be able to tip through the app or not, but I’m guessing that function would still be left intact or it would once again be Uber messing with riders’ choice in the matter.

I never mention tips, but I graciously accept them when offered. It blesses people to give, and if I’m the receiver of it. I should be grateful and smile and say thank you.

exactly the last thing people want to feel like is a “victim” so if they insist who am I to block someone from being a blessing through thier own struggle.

You are probably getting rides like crazy right now. I wouldn’t be worried about tips and would refuse thm

Now I personally think it’s a good question, because the fact even in a hard time there will be that one person that will tip on their own and would want to know. I’d be the driver that had a case a beer hidden away that I’d pass to the parents so they can relax and see that someone cares. Just me and my two pennies worth

You have to remember these folks probably have little cash,can’t get to banks and ATM s are probably not working .
Plus worried about every penny, so I think this point is moot.
If they wanted to tip they would, I doubt your question on tipping would arise.
I would refuse tips anyway,

Did you really just ask that? These people are essentially broke. They’ve lost EVERYTHING!! :rage:

I think it’s a valid question because I would want to tip my local driver who may also be suffering or searching for gas to help me. And with no cash on hand I would like to be able to tip on app.

After living they hurricane Matthew in oct. I would suggest you not drive if you can’t afford to buy gas and lose a few days of work.
There are many people out of work not just Über drivers

This wasn’t a “I want to make sure I get what’s mine!” entitled whine post. There’s no need to treat it as such. It’s a valid question, and riders are not the only ones affected by the flooding.

Ha ha ha, this post is a prime reason why rideshare drivers are treated the way they are. Thank codrivers like this with selfish, self centered, me me me approaches. As a team you get what you put out in the world. Food for thought

You’re being “skewered” because this post is totally insensitive. No one is thinking about being tipped by people being transported to the shelter in a major crisis, except for you. Shame on you!

It’s all about the Pax preference. If it were me the last thing I would want is for people to treat me like a “victim” so if they insist on tipping who am I to block someone from being a blessing through thier own struggle. To give an example I know people that are disabled and they don’t want nobody opening doors for them. As noble as you may feel to help by refusing a tip it can be seen as offensive. Plus we don’t know we’ve been tipped until after the Pax has exited the video.

It’s all about the Pax preference. If it were me the last thing I would want is for people to treat me like a “victim” so if they insist on tipping who am I to block someone from being a blessing through thier own struggle. To give an example I know people that are disabled and they don’t want nobody opening doors for them. As noble as you may feel to help by refusing a tip it can be seen as offensive. Plus we don’t know we’ve been tipped until after the Pax has exited the video.

Not trying to start anything…But many of you are assuming every single person in Houston has lost everything and is poor when thats not true. You all are only seeing the people on the news who were affected. U are not seeing the people who weren’t. My step-mom is there and her apartment building is still entact and no flooding, so if she calls a Uber to get around, she will tip because thats the type of person she is. And I dont think this lady is asking the question because she is concerned about tips. A think a pax wanted to know

Ok to keep this from getting crazier I’m going to shut comments off. The question has been answered so no need for anything to get chaotic. Everyone stay safe and uber on.