I'm all about positive reinforcement of the tipping culture

I may have put together a great system to generate tips. I hope my efforts will continue to translate into more tips, making tipping normal for Uber drivers.

This weekend, I had a 57% tipping rate. Friday was 70%, Saturday was 46%. Total earned in tips just under $120 between 26 rides. I had brought out my new Tablet slideshow for that weekend and seems to be a huge success.

Stop tipping others is not an option in my book. I’m going to tip that delivery guy that brings my food to me. Why? Because he’ll be delivering to me again, more than likely, as I order from the same place often. There’s a lot of time between him leaving the restaurant to arriving at my door step that he’s alone with my food.

Well you bring up a good point. Why do Uber Drivers not deserve a tip, but a waiter or waitress does or bartender does? Or why do taxi drivers deserve a tip? Lets think about that for a minute. Who is the culprit of all this?

The culprit is uber. They bent us all over and said “pucker up in the name of progress” which really means they will steal fares from paul (taxis and existing black fleets or cabs) and give it to peter (the guy that just got his license or the guy that is desperate enough to drive people for minimum wage). The only solution is for uber to get sued into oblivion because their service in reality is shit.

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.

Of course the hourly rate of wait staff can vary depending on the management, but historically they are payed far below minimum wage, relying heavily on tips to cover their bills.

In the eyes of most customers Uber is great. Drivers, increasingly the sentiment is negative… What matters is the customer when there is a constant inflow of drivers willing to join.

The system is the way it is. For the sake of argument, if tipping stopped and restaurants paid much more to servers, who do you think pays the difference? The restaurant owner or the consumer? In other words, once restaurants are forced to pay more, the cost difference is passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices for all food and drinks.

And to further add…at most good restaurants, servers would actually make less money. If you think a server wants higher pay vs tips at a busy, medium to high end restaurant or bar, you are sadly mistaken.

That’s kinda of a garbage argument perpetuated by the same people at uber. Pay people low so they can suffer and the customer is happy. Don’t have a business if you can employ at less minimum wage people.

Because quite possibly, if the waiter gets paid the same whether or not you get your refill of iced tea, or your food is right, you will end up getting the same service you get at the DMV, shitty.

In comparison to tips from uber pax, I’m not sure if driving from point A to point B is really a tippable service. What special skills did it take to do that? A good wait staff can take orders and deliver them for up to 40 customers at a time.

Restaurants on the whole have paper thin margins. So that much increase in labor is absolutely being passed on to the consumer. For every owner like the one you described, there are 9 struggling to keep the doors open and provide for their families.

I agree that serving is way more complicated than ubering. Significantly more. I believe your 15-20% estimate is low though. Going from $2-3 am hour pay to $10ish an hour is a 500% increase in labor cost. More than likely food cost would rise a minimum of 30%

I’d think it would balance out at an even 25%, which is what the average person tips. So my argument is, what’s the difference between paying $100 + 20% tip versus just paying $120 and not be obligated to tip?

In the food industry, those who don’t care to tip, they dine at McDonald’s and other fast service counter restaurants. Its part of the etiquette of going through the drive thru or eating in the joint, you don’t tip there. Before fast food caught in the 60’s and 70’s, everyone who served food expected tips.