I have recently become disabled due to surgical error. Do people ever expect you to pick up things?

When it comes to luggage assist, every driver is different. You should let Uber know you have a disability so they can alert riders, but about half the drivers out there do not assist, and half do. I think it’s more of a personal choice.

If you have this conversation with people and explain your situation, I’d say that 99% of the people you’ll be dealing with will have no issue whatsoever, and probably be extremely sympathetic.

The only trouble I could imagine you having is if you wind up picking up someone who is themselves disabled. For example, I picked up a very nice lady in her 70s last week who’d had a stroke and needed help getting herself and her walker in and out of the car. But that’s a rare occurrence.

Personally I have trouble walking too due to an injury but it doesn’t affect my ability to drive. I live in California and I have handicap license plates on my car so people know I have a disability. Sometimes I can get out and walk around to the back of the car with no problem, but I also let them know I’m sorry, but I cannot do any lifting to help them out…I do get out a lot even it it is just to check after every ride that they didn’t leave any personal belongings in the back seat or trunk of my car. Most people are very understanding…