How is this not obvious?

Because the most commonly refused rides are ones where there is more travel to the pickup which, if you’re even getting that ping to begin with, also means a high likelihood that there would be no other driver close enough to be considered available and the trip would not happen and they would not get the $2.05 plus commission. A negative incentive via a timeout diacourages the mindless behavior of refusing trips.

Really!? You’ve never heard the term negative incentive? It means incentivizing a good behavior by taking something else good away if it isn’t performed. As opposed to a deterrent which causes people not to perform bad behavior because of the perceived consequences or punishment which directly causes something unpleasant to happen when bad behavior is performed.

Based on his posts he’s definitely a follower who takes things as presented to him as opposed to someone who thinks for and analyzes things for himself and then draws his own conclusions.

THAT is not obvious because of the simple fact that odds favor the opposite scenario. I swear, the tin foil hats around here! I mean, really, if that’s your whole logic, why accept any trips at all. Just stay home and avoid cancellations altogether.

A few weeks ago I got a ping from an Uber pax very early in the morning. I ignored it as the pax was a 4.5, which made him ineligible for a ride from me. There were few drivers online and his ping must have done the rounds and got rejected by all of them because it came back to me a couple of minutes later.

That’s funny. I’ll accept just about any ping - 90% acceptance rate is easy - and when I ran 100 trips last week, I had maybe 5 or 6 cancels. All of those were nearby pings at the beaches. Not one was a faraway ping.

Yeah, he couldn’t have just had two rides, a 4 and a 5. The 4 probably came because the trip wasn’t long enough for some Uber with an attitude or the driver didn’t earn a tip.

I’d say, off the top of my head, if you define faraway as 15 minutes, probably around 8-10. Seems some around here define far away as the rider isn’t already sitting in the car when they request, in which case it’s 100.

No. Once again you demonstrate failure to grasp the point being made. I am not saying that Uber is trying to get what it wants by reducing its labor pool. Rather, Uber is trying to get what it wants by threatening and trying to punish its own drivers.

You work whatever hours you want. You work as many or as few hours as you want. You choose your vehicle, your maintenance plan and provider. You choose where you work. And on and on and on. You are an independent contractor.

Incidentally, if you truly think the contract is one sided, it doesn’t make you an employee, it makes you a sucker for agreeing to it. And if you agreed to it and now want to demand a different treatment, it masks you a person with no integrity who doesn’t honor your commitments.

I have pings every weekend where I arrive at the pickup and can’t find the rider. They don’t respond to msgs or answer calls. Sometimes, they finally respond with “dude, I got another ride”.

I understand. I was just adding in my two cents worth. I think I am ranting about my experiences with driving the drunk crowd after 10:00pm. Also, Uber is new in my city. Seems like the rider’s and drivers alike are in a learning mode.

OP, the automatic time out may not have any effect on you but that doesn’t mean it has no effect on everyone. Plenty of drivers drive exclusively Uber.

You’re analogy failed right off the bat, because if Uber were a restaurant, we would not be the diners, we’d be the hired help. And a driver refusing pings would be comparable to a waiter refusing to service tables because he sized up the patrons and didn’t think the tips would be worth it.