Hoodie in my car

I don’t want to discriminate against anyone and I know its getting cold, but I don’t want to allow hoods (from your hoodie) on in my car… Three guys had me so shook tonight…all had all black on, hoodies tightened around their heads and all I could think was this is it smh…My son wears his that way sometimes and I know its these young folks thing, but its also what you would do if you were up to no good…Luckily they were just teens ready to go home, but I was shamefully a little shook…

How can you control what someone wears?? I’m confused… This is the line of work you chose and that comes with the job … If u don’t feel safe then cancel the ride… But if u are concern about what someone has on then you will be concern forever… As long as they don’t have no mask on…

Look, if you are genuinely afraid for your life, keep the doors locked, and when they go to get in, tell them you’re sorry but an emergency came up and you have to cancel. Cancel and don’t charge rider and leave or just ask them nicely to remove them when they get into your vehicle.

I understand why you feel that way. I wouldve told them to remove the hoodie for safety reasons in a nice way. You’re not delusional for being cautious out at night being a driver.

I came home to my son on the porch with his hood strung up tight too, I was like you like a thug, but he is nowhere near it, so I guess my parnoia was just on 10 tonight…

Just because she said thug, doesn’t mean they’re black. By saying Trayvon Martin you associated the word “Thug” with a black male. Not once did she say if they were black or not. He couldn’t been white… age could’ve been Mexican… Hell he could’ve been any color… You assumed. And she has a right to ask them to remove their hoods. That doesn’t mean she wants to control what they wear. She’s a woman. Rather be safe than sorry/stupid.

People will find anything to be offended by…

The reason most people’s mind goes to black when the word “thug” is uttered is because it’s usually said pertaining to black people. It’s the new euphemism for “nigger” these days. Notice how they call black kids thugs when reported, but when they refer to someone like Justin Bieber they never refer to him as such despite the thuggish things he’s done. We are aware of the denotation of the term, however It’s the negative connotations the media has attached to that term which is why so many are taking offense to it.

No she didn’t mention a race (and I doubt she will now) but that’s why it was received that way by so many.

I call a thug a thug personally! I don’t care if your white black or died your skin purple ( my fav color) but everyone assumes others are racist! Considering she put no color in the post u should know if the word thug is thrown out then color shouldn’t matter. We don’t know the color!!! But a thug is a thug. Point. Blank. Period! Of all decents! There is wrong in all colors. Honestly!

I have dash cam and if I ever feel uneasy about anyone I keep my doors locked and advise them through the window" hey my car records video and audio are you okay with that"? Just so they know. They normally sit back and shut the fuck up!

That’s brilliant. Great advice for other women that driver, especially at night, and especially when they’re picking up male passengers. Could you make a post sharing your method? I worry about the ladies of rideshare all the time.

Wth. But lawd if the mayo color ppl think this we would be all over their asses. This is sad and being that your own son dresses like this makes it worst. U would so mad if someone thought like that about your son. Im a bus driver. I drive thousands of crazy ppl around so my scared thingy is off. I barely look at these passenagers. I ask name and confirm destination. I even have my rear view mirror so i dont see then when i drive. I also have a grown blk male son. He doesn’t dress like that but i would feel a ways if drivers refused him or profiled him based on clothing when he’s a college educated productive blk man

I definitely felt some kind of why about it, but regardless I’m not delusional about where I was, how I came up, or the world we live in. I would be horrified if my son was profiled, HOWEVER I definitely know it occurs and last Time I checked my rose colored glasses don’t work.

OAN…ANY race covering there face at night in a vehicle especially with a female, should make your instincts on alert…that sounds ridiculous to think otherwise. But I digress…

She NEVER said that they were black I don’t think. Here y’all are associating the word “thug” to a black male. A thug can be anyone from ANY race… Y’all assumed that they were black… And I would’ve been the SAME away. It’s 3-1 and they have hoodies on. Hoods also conceals identity. Y’all find anything to get offended over… Next post. Do whatever it is to make YOU feel safe…

Listen…Profiling people may not be the right thing to do…but sometimes it’s the safest thing to do…2017 you have to be very careful out here in these streets because these streets isnt showing ANYONE love…They call it profiling…I call it keeping my black ass safe…

If just by looking at them you got so unnerved that you had to make this post means yes you were profiling. I didnt say anything about race so im not addressing that. Shoot people are profiled for positive reasons also. The bottom line is if you feel that uncomfortable about 3 hooded people then dont let them in. When I started my mentor taught us that when you pull up your door should be locked your windows should be cracked and you should ask who was the ride for before even letting them get in. If they don’t know the answer then excuse yourself and drive off if they want to give you a hard time excuse yourself and drive off if it doesn’t feel safe excuse yourself and leave. But you also have to set the tone with anybody who gets into your car black white male or female because it makes for a good understanding even without words

In what way is the hoodie dangerous? People are saying have them remove it. Then what? If their intentions are to rob you removing the hoodie won’t change that.
I fear drunk boys in khaki shorts leaving the bar more than a boy leaving work with a hoodie on.

NO ONE can blame her for feeling how she felt & I thought she did a great job by not profiling by race, but by hoodies drawn tight over their faces. Everyone automatically assumed she was referring to black people because soo many resources are allocated to make EVERYONE in society believe black people are dangerous & should be feared. That being said, I hope none of yall (especially those who are criticizing Rika) are guilty of sharing or liking these fight videos, crime videos, domestic violence videos, or videos of general ratchetness that portray black people in a negative light. Because every time you do you are contributing to this negative image that is fed to our society. These same images are used as a weak excuse to justify the injustice we continue to deal with to this day. We all have a responsibility to only like & share positive images & stories of black people if we ever want society to overcome the negative perception it has been conditioned to believe about Black people & the reality of all the great & positive things we have going on to become the norm.

Whatever makes u uncomfortable…for whatever reason…u shouldn’t do It!!! At the end of the day…it’s your well being and your life. U have to make sure YOU are here tomorrow to the BEST of your ability. I don’t toy around with what is racially or politically CORRECT in OTHERS opinion…I have a level of comfort and I DO NOT bend in it…no matter what. U shouldn’t either…stay safe my sista