"drive carefully!" This has always perplexed me

lyft
lyftdriver
uber
uberdriver

(Snyder Reed) #1

When someone says as they exit your car “drive carefully!”, do they mean that they thought you didn’t drive carefully during the ride, or is it just a general thing some people like to say? This has always perplexed me as i always try to drive carefully when i have a passenger.

(Hassan) #2

Over-thinking. Kind of like how most drivers are conditioned to say “you do the same” but they’re not driving.

(Laura Lee) #3

It’s just their way of acknowledging that this is a sneaky dangerous job and that they appreciate the risks that you take.

(Abel) #4

I think some things people put to much thought into and turn it into something it was never meant to be, they are just being nice.

(Chris Stipe) #5

Just because they like you as a driver and they understand the risk you are taking.
Every time someone cuts me off, a pax always says " this is why I don’t drive". I say "yes and with these cheap fares it’s cheaper to do an Uber or Lyft even including the tip :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes::unamused:

(Marsha_Smith) #6

They are taking rideshare because they are scared of driving. They think your trying to kill yourself which is why they don’t tip. They were in a near miss in 1997 and haven’t driven since. They are also scared of spiders and that lemon pie. And lemons, and everything.

(Jeremy Mwan) #7

I have thought about asking them why they say it, but they usually say “drive carefully” as they are exiting the car, so i dont have enough time to respond. It doesn’t happen very often, maybe 2 or 3 times a week, considering i pick up about 120 people on average per week, that means 117 of them thought i am a safe driver! :blush:

(Cody Parker) #8

My 18yo son used to tell me this when I would leave home to drive. I explained how it raised the hair on the back of my neck. Then he stopped :smirk:

(Brahim Decker) #9

Thanks for all your replies! Thats me at home now with my Uber car in the background…

(Garrent George) #10

Its well wishes. Like, break a leg. Just say thanks, and keep it pushin.

(Christian Odom) #11

I would have to say it’s, a general comment! Just like when you get a new phone and the person at the store says “Enjoy”… and you instinctively say… “you Too”!! Lol

(Lisa Markee) #12

Had two guys anxious to get to college ball game before tip off. Waze said we had plenty of time. Stopped at light but other traffic wasn’t moving. Started a right turn on red as cars started to cross the intersection. I rushed the turn a little but did not hit the curb.

Passenger said “hey dawg, we see your bad, but don’t have to show us again”. Got to the game on time and got a $20 cash tip. Not sure what the review was.

No more right turns on red with riders.

(Jack Dolen) #13

It is probably said to you at night. It is another way of saying be safe out there… From all the drunks and other “freaks come out at night” types.