Anyone who signs up and gets hired to work as an Amazon Flex driver is required to have either an Android phone 6.0 or above that has at least 2 GB of RAM and a phone camera for scanning, or an iOS 9.3.5 or above on an iPhone 5 or newer.
Most Amazon Flex drivers opt to go with Android over iOS devices based on affordability, a variety of phone options and better connectivity.
If you already have an iPhone and wish to keep working with it following are some reasons why it may be better if you opt for a second phone and why that second phone should be an Android.
Android phones have been shown to have better connectivity over iOS phones at various warehouses.
Android phones have been shown to be faster at picking up next-day or same-day blocks.
Items purchased solely for business purposes can be written off as an expense item at tax time.
Your phone experiences a lot of wear and tear on top of normal usage as an Amazon Flex driver. Particularly if you are very busy. So, it is a good idea to protect your more expensive iPhone from unnecessary wear and tear.
At the end of the day, it boils down to speed. Speed is an Amazon Flex driver's best friend. Speed enables you to get Amazon blocks quicker whether you are searching for next-day or same-day blocks. Blocks equal money. Therefore, having a dedicated phone for Amazon Flex improves your chances of making money. Many drivers have two phones. Some even have three.
Following is a list of popular Android phones used by Amazon Flex drivers.
The Moto G5 is fifth generation Motorola and it was introduced in February 2017.
- 20-inch display
- Qualcomm quick charge 3.0 technology powered by 2GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor.
- 4GB of RAM
- 32GB of internal storage
- 12-megapixel primary rear camera and an 8-megapixel front camera.
- Runs Android 7.0.
- The quality of the overall phone including parts and build is decent.
- Due to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor that provides turbocharging, the phone charges up very quickly. This also makes it compatible with any Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 should you need to buy a car charger.
- Phones tend to heat up when playing games or listening to music but this should not concern drivers who use it only for the Amazon Flex app.
- Lacks protective screen glass so you have to be careful when using it.
- Loudspeaker and low light camera features are subpar.
The phone is available on Amazon. It retails for approximately $300.
This phone is the upgraded version of the G4, which had some great features. The addition of multiple bells and whistles has definitely bumped up the price though as the G4 was retailing for about $99. You might be tempted to get the G4 but since the G5 works so much faster, it is recommended that you go for the G5 model instead.
The phone is fully compatible with AT&T and Verizon Wireless and is partially compatible with Sprint and T-Mobile.
If your carrier of choice is Sprint or T-Mobile then also check out the Moto G Plus that also retails for around $300 and has similar features. It is fully compatible with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless.
The ZTE is a favorite because it has a great camera for scanning packages and a long-lasting battery. It was also introduced in February 2017.
- 5-inch display
- 13-megapixel primary rear camera and an 8-megapixel front camera.
- Comes with Qualcomm quick charge 2.0 technology powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor with X9 LTE and Android M.
- 3GB of RAM
- 32GB of internal storage
- Long battery life
- Good quality camera
- Better priced compared to comparable models
- The phone is noticeably heavier than most other phones.
- The fingerprint sensor needs more work, as it requires too much pressure to activate.
The phone is available on Amazon. It retails for approximately $230 and is currently on sale for approximately $140.
This phone is also referred to as the Huawei Mate 9 Lite and has been around since October 2016.
- 5-inch display
- Dual-lens 12-megapixel front camera and 2-megapixel rear camera
- 4 GB RAM
- 32 GB ROM storage
- 2-day battery life
- 5V/2A charging technology
- Runs Android 6.0 up to 7.0
- Long lasting battery
- Like the ZTE Blade, this phone is also noticeably heavier than other phones.
The phone is fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile. However, Sprint and Verizon Wireless do not provide any services for this phone.
The phone is available on Amazon. It retails for approximately $195.
All the above phones meet the minimum requirements for what Amazon Flex requires its drivers to have.
When shopping for a phone keep in mind that even if a phone has a long-lasting battery, chances are that you are going to require charging it along the way. You cannot take the risk of your phone dying on you for any reason.
Also keep in mind that you do have the option to buy a used phone from sites like Craigslist. Unfortunately these do come with a greater requirement for due diligence. If you have the stomach and patience for it, go ahead.