The Best Cars To Insure For Rideshare Driving

When considering all the costs an Uber driver must take into account, one of the most important is the insurance cost since this is directly linked to the value of your car. The more expensive your car, the higher your policy, however, there are other factors involved in car insurance, and we will go over them in this article as well as review the top ten cars we consider are worth their value while reducing insurance overheads.

Uber car requirements

What are the insurance rate factors?

Here are the seven main factors that make up an insurance price:

1. Personal Credit Rating
    2. Age
    3. Gender
    4. Driving record
    5. Address/Zip code
    6. Vehicle Make
    7. Vehicle Model

The first factor is based on how you managed your finances during your life; the second and third are you, the fourth is how you managed your driving experiences about law and order, the fifth is where you live, and the last two are the driver’s vehicle make and model.

Now that we know what the insurance ratings are about let’s look at the only part of the list we can influence, the cars. Since there is no way, you can change the rest without either major surgery or, some real estate changes, or some serious online hacking. (Which we don’t condone).

What all drivers must take into account, in ride-sharing, the cheapest car is nor the best; neither is the most expensive ones. Ridesharing, like many things in life, is about balance, the balance between comfort, size, safety, driver comfort, gas usage and finally price.

Here is a list of cars we think are the best for Uber driving due to their low insurance value:

Honda Odyssey (2018)
MSRP 29-46K, seats 7-8, 19 city, 28 hwy MPG, 280 HP, USNews ranking 9.3.

Honda CR-V (2017)
MSRP 24-33K, seats 5, 25-28 city, 31-34 hwy MPG, 184-190 HP, USNews ranking 8.8.

Dodge Caravan (2007)
MSRP 2-2.5K, seats 2 - 7, 20 city, 26 hwy MPG, 150-180 HP, USNews ranking 7.

Jeep Patriot Sport (2017)
MSRP 18-25K, seats 5, 20-23 city, 23-30 hwy MPG, 158-172 HP, USNews ranking 5.6.

Toyota Prius C (2018)
MSRP 20-25K, seats 5, 48 city, 43 hwy MPG, 99 HP, USNews ranking 7.5.

Jeep Compass (2017)
MSRP 21-29, seats 5, 22-23 city, 30-32 hwy MPG, 180 HP, USNews ranking 7.2.

Ford Escape (2018)
MSRP 24-34K, seats 5, 20-23 city, 27-30 hwy MPG, 168-245 HP, USNews ranking 8.4.

Buick Encore (2018)
MSRP 23-32K, seats 5, 24-27 city, 30-33 hwy MPG, 138-153 HP, USNews ranking 8.0.

Jeep Cherokee (2018)
MSRP 24-37K, seats 5, 18-21 city, 24-30 hwy MPG, 184-271 HP, USNews ranking 7.6.

Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (2017)
MSRP 27-34K, seats 5, 34 city, 30 hwy MPG, 194 HP, USNews ranking 7.9.

Kia Sorento (2018)
MSRP 26-46K seats 5-7, 17-21 city, 23-28 hwy MPG, 185-290 HP, USNews ranking 8.6.

Lexus NX Hybrid (2017)
MSRP 38K, seats 5, 33 city, 30 hwy MPG, 194 HP, USNews ranking 8.2.

Review of findings

The Toyota RAV4 Hybrid 2017 won the US News best compact SUV for 2017.

We added the Kia Sorento and Lexus NX Hybrid as an afterthought, they are not the cheapest or most economical car and wanted to put it in as a kind of balance to show you the range of prices, power, seating and gas consumption ratios.

Most of the cars we chose were mini-vans and SUV’s which provide a more comfortable, spacious and safe drive, and are also more beneficial to the drivers driving experience.

Categories

These cars all fall into a specific number of categories that make them attractive; the list is as follows:

Car owner profile: The cars we noted are mainly driven by families, as such they provide a safe and familiar view and surrounding to passengers

Car safety: These cars have proven over time their safety in road handling, collision control, and impact security.

Car size: Since these cars are minivans and SUV’s they are all middle to a large range and as such provide a perfect and comfortable ride.

Car price: These are not the cheapest cars, but are all easy to replace

Choosing the vehicle to buy

When deciding which vehicle to buy, you must take into account a few more factors, more personal ones, such as your ability to finance the purchase or loan repayments and your ability to handle the car. However, there are other less personal issues to consider, such as:

• Minivans are good for UberXL, which provide an incentive to drivers by paying more than regular Uber rides.

• Delivery services since these vehicles are large and can allow the driver to convert them into delivery vans very quickly and in between passenger rides.

• Power sliding doors are a great way to offer easier access to the car and are good when dealing with drunk or unruly passengers, as well as for the larger pets.

• Space, space, and more space, the larger the interior, the more relaxed and comforting is the ride to the passenger.

• Gas consumption ratios in minivans have improved drastically over the last decade due to the excessive use and preference of families and drivers globally that demand SUVs and minivans to conventional sedans.

The final word on choice; pick the car to suit the kind of driving and passenger you wish to accept on a daily basis. If you want to flow with teenagers and parents, then pick a compact SUV or full-size SUV. For students pick a Jeep, if you are going for the night crowd and drunks then get an SUV with power sliding doors. If you are going for business and professionals, pick a black sedan, or large black SUV.

A quick word about Toyota Prius

Toyota Prius is one of the most driven rideshare cars because of its hybrid technology that reduces gas consumption radically. Also, the used car price is so low, that most drivers prefer to find used Toyota Prius for their rideshare work.

I see the Kia Sorento is on here. Anyone know for sure(no guesses) if this can be used with uber select? Customer service always provides inconsistent info either by guessing or going by the constantly changing list of vehicles, and I can’t spend thousands of dollars on a vehicle to find out I spent all the money for nothing. Or is there a good way I’m not aware of yet on how to check the eligibility of a vehicle before you buy it? I’m trying to get an affordable used vehicle to use for Select, Xl and X and eats. Thanks

You should go into Uber’s Greenlight hub to confirm what type of cars are allowed in your area.

Phone support is totally unreliable.

Thanks. If only it wasn’t 200 miles away.

:stuck_out_tongue: Where do you drive?

Vehicle list could vary by location. Vehicle age has to be ten years or newer in most places but in some cities it could be as much as five years or newer.

UberSELECT Eligible vehicle models:

Acura - ILX, MDX, RDX, RLX, TL, TLX

Alfa Romeo - Giulia

Audi - A3, A4, A5, A5 Avant, A6, A6 Avant, A7, A8, Q3, Q5, Q7, RS 4, RS 5, RS 6, RS 7, S3, S4, S5, S5 Sportback, S6, S7, S8, SQ5

BMW - 3-series, 4-series, 4-series Gran Coupe, 5-series, 5-series Gran Turismo, 6-series, 6-series Gran Coupe, 7-series, M3, M5, X1, X3, X4, X5, X6

Cadillac - ATS, CT6, CTS, DTS, SRX, STS, XTS

Genesis - G80

Hummer - H3

Hyundai - Equus, Genesis

Infiniti - EX, FX, G Sedan, JX, M, Q40, Q45, Q50, Q60, Q70, QX4, QX50, QX56, QX60, QX70, QX80

Jaguar - F-PACE, S-Type, XF, XJ

Kia - K900

Land Rover - Range Rover, Range Rover Evoque

Lexus - ES, GS, GX, IS, LS, LX, NX, RX

Lincoln - Continental, MKS, MKT, MKX, MKZ, Town Car

Maserati - Ghibli, Quattroporte

Mercedes-Benz - C-Class, CL-Class, CLA-Class, CLK-Class, CLS-Class, E-Class, G-Class, GL-Class, GLA-Class, GLK-Class, M-Class, ML-Class, R-Class, S-Class, SL-Class, SLK-Class

Porsche - Cayenne, Panamera

Tesla - Model S, Model X

Volvo - S60, S70, S80, S90, XC90

Yeah, I’ve seen the list and been told by a couple reps more or less(communication isn’t always as clear as day) as long as it fits the criteria which is clear up til the subject “luxury SUV” it can be “pushed through”. I would be driving in the Fort Myers/Naples area.

Were you able to figure out the list for UberSelect? If not, I got an idea for you. Order an UberSelect for yourself as a passenger and ask the driver. He/She’s going to be your best bet.

I don’t think most drivers out there will know about a specific vehicle unless they had it themselves. I’m waiting on customer service for a response via the app/email though. It’s been a couple days already so IDK.

You can still ask them how they found out about what car to use for UberSelect. Trust me, an Uber driver will be your best way to figure this out.